The Statistical Analysis of 10th Presidential / Vice Presidential Election
April 5, 2000
The 10th presidential / vice presidential election was completed successfully on March 18, 2000. Mr. Chen, Shui-bein and Ms. Lu, Sho-lian are the newly elected president and vice president of Taiwan. Democrat Progress Party (DPP) has become the ruling party for the very first time in the history of Taiwan. A total of 15,463 thousand (82.7%) votes were cast in the presidential election.
A total of 15,463 thousand voters had their votes cast in the 10th president/vice presidential election and that is 1,149 thousand (8.03%) votes more than the term before. A total of 82.69% of the voters had their votes cast in the 10th presidential/vice presidential election that stands for a growth of 6.65% from the last one. Voters in Taichung County (85.17%) had their votes cast in the presidential election while Hsinchu County came in second with 85.10%, Kaohsiung Municipality came in third with 84.25%, and Kinmen County came in the last with 68.84%. The voting rate, in general, is on the up side nationwide.
According to the announcement of the Central Election Commission, there were 5 pairs (10 persons) of candidates running for the 10th president/vice president of Taiwan and it is one pair (2 persons) more than the term before. Eight of the ten candidates are males while the other two are females. The average age of candidates running for president is 58 years old and it is 9.8 years younger than the term before. The average age of candidates running for vice president is 54.8 years old and it is 2.2 years younger than the term before. It shows that the average age of candidates running for president / vice president is getting younger.
In terms of education, two out of the five (40%) candidates running for president are with a doctoral degree or master degree while the other three (60%) are with a college degree. Four out of the five (80%) candidates running for vice president are with a doctoral or master degree while the other one (20%) is with a college degree.
Mr. Chen, Shui-bein and Ms. Lu, Sho-lian has won the election and become the 10th president and vice president, respectively, of Taiwan ROC.
Mr. Chen, Shui-bein is with a college degree and at an age of 49 that is 24 years younger than the former president is. Ms. Lu, Sho-Lian is with a master degree at an age of 55 that is 4 years younger than the former vice president is. The average age of the president and vice president is younger than the previous ones.
The ballot of the presidential campaign amounts to 12,664 thousand votes (99.04% of the total votes cast). Mr. Chen, Shui-bein and Ms. Lu, Sho-lian received 4,978 thousand (39.30%) votes, Mr. James Soong and Mr. Chang, Chaio-shon received 4,665 thousand (36.84%) votes, Mr. Lian, Jen and Mr. Shout, Won-chong received 2,925 thousand (23.10%) votes, Mr. Shi, Hsin-lian and Ms. Chu, Shui-bein received 79 thousand (0.63%) votes, and Mr. Lee, Owl and Mr. Fong, Fu-shon received 17 thousand (0.13%) votes.